[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 21 00:20:15 CDT 2001

[ On Friday, April 20, 2001 at 03:37:22 (-0400), Joshua D. Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Re: Help!
>
> GIF tunnel?

Just an IP-in-IP encapsulation that allows you to use someone else's
network as if it's another interface on your router.  It can tunnel
IPv[46] traffic over IPv[46].  Cisco has GRE, and there are a few other
semi-standard forms of IP tunnels, including vtun.  GIF was most
reliable on NetBSD, though it has a rather large header and thus reduces
the MTU to just 1280, which can cause enormous problems with some
stupidly configured sites, unfortunately (eg. sympatico.ca's mailers
could never talk to my mailer when it was only reachable through the GIF
tunnel).  One of these days I want to do some more experiments with vtun
though as it has many advantages over GIF, but unfortunately requires
pushing data out to a user-level daemon and then back into the kernel
again....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>