[SunRescue] Re: Help!

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 12:44:21 CDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I really really really hate PCs (even though I have three in production
> and another two in test and two old laptops also in test!).  If I could
> have found a cheap/free Sbus ethernet card I've have tried my SS1+ (or
> maybe an SS2) as a gateway, but I can't seem to find such things at any
> decent price (usually they're about three times as much as a whole new
> machine can be had for!).

I've never found them to be too expensive.  There was a lot of about 20 of
them on Ebay a while back that went for $20/ea or so.  SBus hme cards are
still on the pricy end of the spectrum but I can't imagine paying more
than $40 for an le.

It's worth it to me to spend a bit extra to get a solidly built system
with a serial console.

> A NAT needs memory and CPU power, things old 486's can sometimes be lacking.

I have personally never found a need for NAT for my home network.
Application proxies can provide more security, prevent the egress of
sensitive information and consolidate caching.

-James