[SunRescue] bringing alive SS2

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 13:10:49 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 14:31:12 (-0400), Valentine wrote: ]
> Subject: Re[2]: [SunRescue] bringing alive SS2
>
> well ...
> I have a linux box to boot from, currently it's acting as a firewall.
> As about a terminal I've got NCD 19r one, but as I understand I'll
> need to use tftp to boot it into something, so I can't connect it
> directly into the SS2.

If your NCD has a serial port, like my 19c does, then you can boot it
from the Linux box and then open a "new serial..." terminal window and
talk to the sun console over a null-modem cable.  Actually you might
need a 3-wire DTE-DTE cable with 6-8-20 and 4-5 tied together on each
end, though a break-out box with a couple of jumpers will let you
experiment to get it right.

I ran one of my SS1+'s using the NCD as a console terminal for some time.

The linux box itself will work fine as a console too with "cu", "tip",
or "kermit".  same cable....

> My only confusion is that, I have no idea how to boot the SS2, when I
> power it on, hard drive does something, AUI converter is flashing, so
> I assume something is going on. But I have no clue how to get some
> video output from it. null-modem connection from serial A?

Yes, serial "A" is the console port.

> or there is some chance of using NCD terminal, w/o booting it?

the ncd is bare-bones until it boots, but you can do that from the Linux
box....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>