[SunRescue] bringing alive SS2

Dan Lane rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 09:51:43 CDT 2001

Valentine sent the following on Thu, 19 Apr 2001...

> well ...
> I have a linux box to boot from, currently it's acting as a firewall.
> As about a terminal I've got NCD 19r one, but as I understand I'll
> need to use tftp to boot it into something, so I can't connect it
> directly into the SS2.
>
> My only confusion is that, I have no idea how to boot the SS2, when I
> power it on, hard drive does something, AUI converter is flashing, so
> I assume something is going on. But I have no clue how to get some
> video output from it. null-modem connection from serial A?
> or there is some chance of using NCD terminal, w/o booting it?

You should be able to connect a null modem cable from the A serial port on
your SS2 to a working box, use a terminal emulator (whatevers good for
you, I tend to use SecureCRT on a windows box) to watch the serial port,
you should see the SS2 boot and perform its checks and then if its failing
you'll see why.

Sparcstations don't act like x86 hardware when they boot.. the Sun
equivalent of a "bios" is always there, and always accessable by sending a
break.

You may want to read the OpenBoot FAQ...

Umm I went to look for the FAQ and it appeared to have disappeared from
the UNIX Insider site linked from sunhelp.org... luckily Google had it
cached so I mirrored it while I could...

http://www.logicbomb.net/openbootfaq.html

Regards,
Dan Lane (d at x11.net)

Web: http://www.logicbomb.net