[SunRescue] bringing alive SS2

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 01:36:21 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 14:04:05 (-0400), Valentine wrote: ]
> Subject: [SunRescue] bringing alive SS2
>
> I've got SS2 case with motherboard and floppy drive in it with 64mb
> ram and 1gb hd.
> now I wanna know what are my options bringing this thingy alive.
> I wanna put this machine as a router/firewall for my home lan.

Nice beefy little box, though you'll probably need a second ethernet to
make it into a firewall, unless you're on a low-speed (28.8?) dialup
connection.  The serial port has to work pretty hard to go even 38.4kbps.

> and... here comes the best part, there is no framebuffer and there is
> no OS installed on the harddrive. I spent few days reading how-to's/faq's,
> mainly on sunhelp.org and obsolete.com, and come up with nothing.

Do you have anything that'll serve as an RS-232 terminal, at least until
you get it running and wheneer you need to reboot?  If so then you can
just use it without keyboard or monitor on the serial console.  Someone
posted some nice instructions here just the other day....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>