[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 22:08:45 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 17:16:17 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Re: Help!
>
> Yes, I know this.  In this case, *anything* is better than what they have
> currently - an office full of machines, sitting STRAIGHT ON THE BARE
> INTERNET, using Windows file and printer sharing as a "network".  No
> firewall, nothing like that.

I know of multi-million dollar corporations that are running significant
chunks of their enterprise like that.  One in particular that I'm
thinking of at the moment is a manufacturer of devices used in building
networks and helping connect people and business to the Big Bad Internet!

Sad really.

Of course no firewall or NAT will save any of them from some of the
worst real-world threats right now.  Most have already bought into a
software regime that'll practically guarantee their immediate downfall
if any of those threats ever comes to pass in any significant way.

I'm almost seriously considering buying a copy of Bruce Schneier's new
"Secrets & Lies" book for every propsective customer and forcing them to
read at least the the first 17 chapters or so before I'll do even one
minute of work for them.  At least that'll scare them into not arguing
with me about how stupidly insecure they already are.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>