[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 15:23:08 CDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 00:13:39 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Help!
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:34:38PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > > Why not check out OpenBSD btw?
> >
> > Because getting pptpd/PoPToP/etc should be easier on a Linux box.
>
> Why do you think that?

We've secretly replaced Greg Woods with Eliza. Let's see if he notices.

I always worry when someone asks a genuine question and other people go
off on irrelevant tangents. If Bill knows he can get the stuff working on
Linux on short order, and he needs to get it done on short order, and it
might take longer than he has on OpenBSD, that's a quite valid reason to
go with Linux. If the reverse were true, the same condition would hold.

I have cases where I can do something faster under one OS, or another. If
I'm building a headless server I lean toward FreeBSD these days (on
supported platforms). If I'm likely to run X, I lean toward Linux. If it's
a modern Sparc system, I lean toward Solaris. It's what I'm comfortable
with, and if anything, non-responsive evangelism in mid-effort is going to
turn me off of a different OS.

You shoulda seen the furor when I asked on another forum if there was a
way to see the cpu information in *BSD assuming I didn't have a dmesg log
from the bootup. ya know, like 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' in Linux? Some FreeBSD
junior evangelists were telling me I shouldn't need to know and that Linux
was lame for telling me. Whee.

At the risk of actually having a rescue-related comment in this message...
I wonder if Walmart can duplicate SS1000 keys. I have one out in the van,
but I kinda want it for mine. :)

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows