[SunRescue] Quirks in SS10 floppy operation?

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 13:35:37 CDT 2001

>2.  Tarring to/from or fdformatting from OpenBSD crashes whole system
>    to a core dump.

Straight from the Sparc installation notes (install.sparc) for OpenBSD 2.8:

"Hardware the we do NOT currently support, but get many questions about:
	Multiprocessor machines (Will not boot correctly on multiple CPU sun4m)
	Audio driver for some sun4m machines (LX,ZX,ss10,ss20)
	Floppy driver for sun4m (can boot/install from ramdisk floppies though)"

>3.  Boot/load of first floppy of NetBSD works fine, but change to
>    second floppy to finish boot/load crashes and dumps the system.

I remember seeing some pretty stern warnings in the OpenBSD install notes
about the installation being intolerant of floppies with defective sectors.
 Maybe you've just got some duff disks?

Again, from the OpenBSD 2.8 Sparc installation notes:

"Be sure to use good quality HD (1.44MB) floppies, formatted on the system
you're using.  The image copy and boot process is not especially tolerant
of read errors. "

newell