[SunRescue] Quirks in SS10 floppy operation?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 13:33:24 CDT 2001

> Well, what's the error it gives as the cause of the panic?
>
> Something in fdread/fdwrite-- sounds like some kind of
> issue w/ the floppy hw-- remember, the OpenBSD floppy
> just reads the contents of the floppy into RAM as a
> ramdisk. fdformat involves a write to the disk, and I
> think when you swap w/ the netbsd 2nd disk it actually
> mounts that as a root filesystem (another write
> activity.)

I am beginning to think hardware.  The second netbsd disk
is actually now a tar.gz file that gets untarred off into
the ramdisk to fill it out.  But, after the change, it
can't read it.  It is timing out.  Could a slow seek
or a jackscrew binding cause that?  I may have to open it
up and relube the head positioning jackscrew.  Sounds a
bit like the old 8 inch Shugart days.

Bob