[SunRescue] Rescued netapp... questions/1MB nvram simms

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 14 20:04:33 CDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 05:55:53PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> Does anyone know what NVRAM SIMM(s) this box uses, and where I can get
> them other than direct from Netapp? I found a reference on the net that
> suggests an X325 kit with 8 1MB NVRAM SIMMs would set me back about $1200
> direct from Netapp at last year's prices, and that's about 12x what I paid
> for the whole box, so it's right out.

NO.  DO NOT buy the NVRAM from Netapp.  We bought it from Dallas Semiconductor
for ~$80/stick, and this was 1998.  *really* pissed Netapp off, too. 8-)

Lemme see if I can dig up the specs...
Yep, here it is, my post from Dec. 8, '97:

 - - - - - -
http://teaparty.mathworks.com:1999/toasters/0674.html

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 05:26:41PM -0800, Chris Caputo wrote:
> Does anyone have info on or a good source for NVRAM for an F220?
> Thanks,
> Chris

Try Dallas Semiconductor; you want the DS2229-T I beleive. We got them
for about $85/each and had them the next day; have had no problems
whatsoever since installation, and its the same part that NetApp sells.

--
Bill Bradford     Sr. Systems Engineer          ICQ: 1864511
mrbill at texas.net  Texas Networking, Inc.     http://www.texas.net

I would KILL to have that NetApp.  I used 2 of them @ TExas.net
(even had to replace the first motherboards we got in them, due
to a design defect) and *love* those machines.  If you're willing
to sell it for any price, PLEASE let me know.  This would be
PERFECT for sunhelp.org, as I've already got the disk shelf
that this uses.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford