[SunRescue] Vinophiles of the world unite

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 11:58:51 CDT 2001

Actually I rather enjoy a good red once in a while, but not generally while
I'm eating, whereas I find a dry white to be palletable almost all the time.
Where many people would have an after dinner dessert wine, I prefer a very
strong (some have described it colorfully as 'mulepiss') coffee.

Really the only time I'm going to go for a red with food is if I'm having a
very strongly flavored beef, i.e. a porterhouse or a prime rib. Then a good
'robust' red is the best way to go.

Actually here's an interesting combo. Have you ever had gaucho steak? It's a
VERY tasty Argentinian beef dish.

What you do is take a very fine beef loin, then slice it EXTREMELY thin,
almost like slices of bacon. Marinate for at least four hours in an acidic
white wine (add vinegar or more lemon juice if necessary, the acid content
is very important), garlic, chili peppers, black pepper, and various other
spices to taste. Then sautee the steak in a light oil or even better butter
and lemon until just barely cooked (preferably only a few seconds if you
sliced thin enough). Really you're almost blanching the meat rather then
sauteeing it (that's why the acidic content is important. It softens the
meat, and helps to kill bacteria making it safe to cook it less). Since the
meat is sliced so thin it almost dissolves in your mouth.

That is unquestionably the best way to have white wine with beef I have ever
had the pleasure of tasting. Personally I find it apropriate to have an
Argentinian wine with an Argentinian beef dish, but they do almost all reds.
There can be found a few chilean whites, either semillon or sauvignon blanc
that are very nice, and of course the ubiquitous chardonnay.

Personally I'll take a sauvignon blanc or a pinot grigio over a chardonnay
any day, but as I said I prefer a clean and light wine. When I want
something 'robust' to drink I'm usually going for a good ale, stout, or even
a 1608, Famous Grouse, or Laphroaig. I may be Irish and a recovered catholic
but god damned if the protestants dont make the best whiskey ;-)

BTW, I have enough credits to go for an associates degree in CA from Newbury
college. When I was growing up I had a plan, I wanted to be a pilot. My
mother also had a plan for me, she wanted me to b a chef. We compromised, I
took one cooking class for every hour I flew. I now have some 1400 hours
time (only about 240 of it loggable under FAA regs)

Chris Byrne