[SunRescue] SS2 and OS

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 17:55:29 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Simeon Johnston wrote:

> I have a SS2 pizza box sitting under my desk at work and am thinking
> about trying to get it working.  What would be the best OS to run on
> this?  I don't have/want solaris so I think it is a choice between Linux
> and a one of the BSD's.  I have had experience w/ Linux but would also

I recommend trying several choices if you have the time.  I also recommend
not writing Solaris off entirely, it has a lot going for it.

NetBSD (and consequently OpenBSD) have been operational on SPARC for quite
some time.  Their biggest deficiencies are with modern hardware support,
something unlikely to be an issue with a SS2.

-James