[SunRescue] SS2 and OS

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 15:38:52 CDT 2001

On 4/10/01 at 10:12 PM, Simeon Johnston <simeonuj at eetc.com> wrote:

>like to try out BSD as Mac OSX is based on this and I WILL be using a
>Mac.  I would be seriously offended and may have to open a can on anyone
>who tried to take my mac away.

It is BSDish, yes. I've used the release OS X -- but I'm booted to OS 9.1
right now. As far as the Unix side goes, the file system seems very tweaked
with extensive use of aliasing and automounting one part of the file system
to another (I think...). Very, very odd. But some neat stuff there -- if you
minimize a QuickTime window to the dock the move keeps playing (just really
small) and the OS seems stable. Most of the reviews seem to be pretty much
on from my point of view, take a look at arstechnica (sp?) as well as the
usual Mac suspects (macintouch and maxfixit).

I haven't telneted in from a Sun yet -- that might be part of my 'play with
shh' project.

--
drouse