[SunRescue] Starter systems...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 14:20:50 CDT 2001

I got an SS/20 w/dual SM50 CPUs, 64 Meg RAM, CD-ROM and 4 Meg VSIMM for less than $300. You should be able to find an SS/20 with an SMP-capable CPU for around $200 (remember, my price estimates are for *future* purchases for the original poster, but with a little luck, these prices could probably be found today) with some RAM (like 4x 16 Meg DIMMs) and some hard drive on Ebay (that's where I got my SS/20). The recent Tatung SS/20 clones that sold on Ebay appear to have had SM71 CPUs included, as well as about 80-96 Meg of RAM, a TurboGX Framebuffer and a bit of HD (one or two Gigs I think),and they all went for less than $100 IIRC. Of course, no one knew until they got the machines home what speed the CPU was (I know that at least two of the four systems sold had SM71s).

There was only one version of SS/20 that I am aware of, but I could be wrong. All SS/20s I am aware of can take 4 or 8 Meg VSIMMs to activate the on-board framebuffer, all can take up to two MBUS modules, and each MBUS module can have up to two CPUs (your ability to mix-and-match CPU speeds/models may vary, based on OBPROM revision level).

I think you are confusing the SS/10 SX with what you are referring to as an SS/20 sx - the SS/10 SX is an SS/10 with an on-board framebuffer capability, similar to the one included on all SS/20s. A plain SS/10 system has no on-board provision for a framebuffer, it is added via the SBUS slots.

The prices I qouted are (IMHO) reasonable targets for successful Ebay sniping - I mena buying.

HTH,

Ken

Message: 4