[SunRescue] OT: FS: SGI Crimson RE

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 22:24:50 CDT 2001

Yes, but who can demand better than good enough when better than good
enough costs $3000 new?  I'm supposed to tell my friends that aren't very
good with computers to deal with ebay or to buy an unsupported machine?
What we need is someone to build a machine with more of a deskop
orientation without using Intel chips.  I'm thinking that Mips, PPC, or
StrongARM are the way to go.

The OS should be some sort of unix varient buried deeply beneith a good
desktop (perhaps a yet to be programed version of GNOME), with a package
manager to sort out the installation difficulties (dselect is competent at
managing packages, but it's UI is intolerable), and redoing the whole /etc
system to allow for easy configuration from a configuration system (I mean
that each file should have a standard format so that one configuration
program can handle all the files, and all options should be listed in the
files, with explainations).

I think that a good university should be able to turn out such a
modification to OpenBSD or Linux in only a few years.  With either system
most of the work is already done

--
Joshua Boyd