[SunRescue] OT: FS: SGI Crimson RE

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 18:51:52 CDT 2001

dmichaud at hotpop.com writes:

>Dave Reader wrote:

>> Now, especially with old SGI hardware hitting the market - much of which
>> will be unsupported by SGI now, what on earth is wrong with people trying
>> to make use of this? maybe you'd prefer to see it all in land-fill?

>I still don't see your point. How useful is an OS that doesn't work on a
>given piece of hardware? Am I missing something? Because IRIX seems to
>work just fine, even on "old" hardware... considering that is what it
>ran to begin with.

Just to derail a pointless religious war into an area that interests
me...

What do people here feel about running "period" software on their
collection?

ie: do you run NetBSD on old machines, or the OS it originally came
with?

Do you run the latest or the earliest version of the OS for said
hardware?

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --