[SunRescue] OT: FS: SGI Crimson RE

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 17:02:41 CDT 2001

Hooray!! I second that. Let's just say, on a basic level, Linux vs. IRIX, there is no comparison. Sure, Linux is a nice OS, pretty stable, blah blah (insert good things about Linux here), but compared to IRIX, its pretty much childs play, like IRIX reliability, scabaility, XFS, 64-bit, ccNUMA, etc..

After that, lets compare Linux to IRIX on an SGI machine, like my Indigo2 IMPACT. Absolutely no comparison whatsoever. Who in their right mind would want console only, when I am sitting here doing work in IFX Piranha in 64-bit color?? You have to be insane.

And finally, Linux on a very nice PC where it belongs, versus my SGI..again no comparison. Let's compare SGI OpenGL to Mesa, or ext2fs to XFS. Let's run high-end applications that cost more than some people's houses on IRIX then on Linux. Going to Linux is like going back to Windows. I'm sorry to say it.

I sure wouldn't want my beautiful box having Linux anywhere near it either.

Of course, I use Linux too. But on a headless PC server... thats where it belongs.

Thanks, -- Finley