[SunRescue] OT: FS: SGI Crimson RE

David Michaud rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 16:37:33 CDT 2001

nick at snowman.net wrote:

> You would recommend irix instead?

Hooray for OS wars!... well, Linux deserves it.

IRIX is a proprietary OS for proprietary hardware. No other OS should
even be attempted to be built or run on it. As to why anyone would want
to, is beyond me. Why someone would want to move from proven, stable,
rock-solid, completely scalable (ie, ccNUMA) hardware and software to
hacked together, standard-less, undocumented, inefficient, unscalable
(ie, beowulf clusters--that's a joke, right?) crap, like Linux, running
on flaky PC hardware is also beyond me. With this in mind, might I
remind you what happened when your little MIPS/Linux port kiddies tried
porting Linux on an Origin2000? The same O2k with 32 processors running
IRIX performed ~13% better than the O2k with 256 processors running that
hacked up Linux. There were a number of "benchmarks", which usually
don't tell you much anyway... I'm sure Quake was one of them though...
SGI has always, at least until recently, been way ahead of its time...
in its graphics subsystems, and in its system architecture. Linux has no
place shoving its way into places where it doesn't belong.

-Dave

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless." --MrNutty/SkyWriter/John
Walton/real person.

"What do Linux and its users have in common? Both were created after
1990." --Cosmos/#sgi