[SunRescue] Sun Sbus PCMCIA??

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 8 20:46:14 CDT 2001

I have one of them, currently for sale in fact as I have no SBUS machines
any more.

There is support for the prism wireless lan card chipset, as well as for
flash memory, and other PCMCIA (or PCMCIA converter) memory cards that can
hold a standard filesystem, and PCMCIA based disk, cd-rom, and cd-rw drives.

Many cardbus cards will operate properly in standard type I/II slots but
will not use the powersaving features or high bandwidth provided by cardbus.

I never had a lockup problem before, but I can understand why it might
happen.

Just a theory here

The 3COM ethernet cards by default try and grab resources immediately on
powerup since in the wonderful world of Plug n Pray first in wins (this I am
certain of). It probably sends an unrecognized interrupt during a phase in
the boot process that the kernel is not expecting it, and the kernel trap
handler pukes (this I'm not sure of since I dont know all that much about
the deep kernel internals on Solaris)

Chris Byrne