[SunRescue] IDing a processor

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 09:28:14 CDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, P.A.Osborne wrote:

> > > mod0 = FMI,MB86904 (mid = 0)
> >
> > That 'mod0' line is what we need to look at... after doing
> > a few searches, it's a 110Mhz SS5. See

ISTR that the 70 and 85MHz versions are also MB86904's .. I'll check my
SS5/70 when I get home. Does this really indicate a 110MHz unit?

> Anyone know off hand if I can put SS10 memory in an SS5?  Its just that
> I have 192MB of SS10 memory in a 40Mhz SS10 that could be better used
> in the SS5....

Nope. Different memory. You need 5v FPM 168pin JEDEC DIMMs for an SS5 -
expensive (see www.memoryx.com).

Also, note that if your SS10 processor has cache, it may well outperform
the SS5 for some tasks.

I found that my SS10 with SM51 can almost keep up with the SS5/110 for a
linux kernel compile ('time make zImage').

YMMV. They're nice smart machines though - same case as the SS20.

dave.