[SunRescue] MIPS?

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 07:48:01 CDT 2001

Hi guys!

I'm stuck sharing a pod with some mainframe dude at my
current client site. Anyway, I asked him what he did for
a living (because I should know his function if I'm
sitting next to him for the next few weeks.) After he
admitted he works on DB2, CICS, and VM/ESA for a living
I offered my sympathies. He nearly flew off the handle
explaining if they treated the mainframes the same way
they treated the 'minis I worked on' they'd be umpteen
zillion times as fast, etc, etc and how all his
software was out of date... how it was a shame that
one of my tiny E450s walked all over his Amdahl and
IBM box... etc, etc.

I need some comparison numbers for this dude for when
I poke him in the ribs again later today-- actually if
someone knows where I can find it or has the info-- the
number of 'MIPS' a "loaded" 6800 or 4800 produces.

It's not like mainframe guys can speak SPECint00 when
it comes to benchmarks... and RISC MIPS != Mainframe
MIPS, but.... who knows.

Thanks!

-Jon