[SunRescue] Moving things onto a new harddrive

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 19:27:57 CDT 2001

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001, Kurt Nowak wrote:

> How about using 'dd'.... I love this utility...

I finally figured out some of the things I was doing wrong -- I need
to install stuff more often.  I mkdir for the mount points and found I
had my news and /mount/usr stuff still intact.  I'm moving /usr/pkg
and then will move /usr/pkgsrc with mv.  I don't think that's the way
it's supposed to be done, but if I hose things, I'll have to rebuild
some things.

The /etc/ files I may handle more circumspectly, but will see.

I think dd only works if both drives are configured exactly alike.
They aren't.

> dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy bs=128k   where sdx is the disk you are copying
> and sdy is the new disk. Set up the partitions on the new drive first, and
> then copy each partition separately....Also, make sure that both the disk
> you are copying to and the disk you are copying from are not mounted... ie
> you will have 3 drives conneced to your machine: the system drive, the
> "copy-to" and the "copy-from" drive.

I'll see how this goes.  If well, then I simply forgot I had to make
new directories on sd0 for the things I wanted to use on sd2.  The
things I need to move are on sd1, which was the drive that was
failing.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net