[SunRescue] SM100's and 630mp

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 16:00:12 CDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Jody Stephens wrote:

> Now that I got my 630mp booting (1 sm100 module), I decided that I
>
> 2. What should I run on it? OpenBSD boots, but only to one
> processor (obviously). I'm going to try a linux install later,
> but I think what I really want is Solaris. It seems that 2.5.1
> is the last revision that worked,but I don't have any media for
> any solaris let alone 2.5.1. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to watch your SM100 revision. Early modules would do MP under
SunOS 4 only.

See the top of the module listing at http://mbus.sunhelp.org/

I don't know what Linux will do with these - however someone recently sold
an SM100 on UK eBay stating that linux ran on one processor and he
"guessed that you need sunos or solaris to run smp". - his may have been
duff, or it may not work SMP under linux either.

You should probably test it before you buy another..

d.