[SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 06:01:52 CDT 2001

><shrug> I get between 11 and 13 mpg (uk gallons) in my wagon.  I'll be
>visiting my sister in Scotland soon, and it'll be cheaper to hire a
>helicopter than to drive :-) cos aviation fuel isn't taxed.
>
>--
>David Cantrell

I've said it beofre and I'll probably say it again

Ye gods be damned lucky bastard.

I've been a private pilot since my 17th birthday, but I havent been able to
fly for almost three years, mostly because of the cost (up to $100 an hour
for single engine time). A significant portion of that cost is the tax on
aviation gasoline, which is even higher than that on ground based motor
vehicle fuel in many places.

Of course if I switched to turbine power (most mid sized and above
helicopters are turbine) the fuel would be mostly tax exempt as it's
classified in the same category as agricultural use desiel fuel.

That's a good question for you. Here in the US if the fuel is purchased for
use off the highways, most taxes don't apply to it. Is that also true
elsewhere?

Chris Byrne