[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 funzies.....(:+}}...

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 16:20:36 CDT 2001

On April 3, James Lockwood wrote:
> Sun didn't ship production 80MHz SuperSparcs.  The SM81 (85MHz) probably
> holds fairly even with the 170MHz TurboSparc, with a boost to code that
> fits the Supers cache better (1MB vs 512KB).  The microSparc-II based
> sun4m's have lower memory latency across the board so truly cache-busting
> code on a SS5/110 may actually beat out everything else.

  James, I've learned not to argue with you on technical points, but
on this one I must disagree.  While [again] I haven't looked at the
benchmarks, in real-world apps, SS10s with SM81s (or even SM71s)
have beaten the crap out of SS5/170 machines for me.  YMMV, I guess,
but that's what I've seen, over and over.  Maybe I've been getting
lucky cache-wise or something, but again, that's what I've seen.

      -Dave McGuire