[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 funzies.....(:+}}...

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 15:06:03 CDT 2001

I moved all the ram into the SS5, and it comes up with 80mb.

If nothing else, I will poke around the original dept and see if
there may be a few more 8m at least sticks sitting.

> >            1 cdrom and some sort of card Sun Video?
>
> 1/3 hight (1"), or half height CDROM?

The cdrom appears to be 1 inch toshiba bit it sticks and won't unload.
It will boot and run up.  I may have to remount it, in case the case
got dinged in coming through surplus.

The video says S24 in a little box, but the monitor is doing the color
shuffle (maybe busted board or color gun in the monitor).

> >            1 cpu      501-2239 TMS390
>
> Ugh, SM30.  36MHz.  Bleah

36mhz... geesh, my IPX is faster then... YUK.

> > My expectation is to hang a storageworks shelf off the SS10 for HD space.
>
> You just have these sitting around?  :-)

Well, I had three sitting from a DEC7000 storagworks cabinet I did the
dismantle-city on.  I use two of them on my alphas, and the third needs
to go on something servery, so the SS10 might be a good candidate.

> > What sort of use is the SunGX video card on the SS10, and what is the
> > processor speed?  Can the SS10 be used as a reasonable workstation in
> > its own right, or should it be run off a terminal or headless?
>
> I'd try not to do anything interactive with it.  Even the slowest SS4/5
> will have more CPU power available, although it does have a lot of ram.
> > The only thing looking like a processor in the SS5 was a fan covered
> > chip?  The SS4 had a normal microsparc with hat chip.

The SS4 processor is a japan-110  (is that 110mhz?).

I can't see anything on the SS5 processor.  Nothing speedwise came
up in the boot, that I could tell.

I got sol8 booting on the SS5, now.... keeping fingers crossed...

Thanks

Bob