[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 funzies.....(:+}}...

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 14:28:17 CDT 2001

On 03 Apr 2001 15:20:27 -0400, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> Well, the interdepartmental transfer came through, and although the
> machines are not mine, I now have some better sunhorsepower to run
> in the office, here, for a workstation and a teaching webserver use.
> Us MooU aggie types get some better computin' hoersepwr, today.....
>
> The SS4:   1 ram simm  501-2471-456764  (what size?)

32MB

> The SS5:   1 ram simms 501-2471-78001688 (what size?)

Looks like 32 again.  Heh, same part number, duh.

>            2 ram simms 501-2470-xxxxxxxx (what size?)

Looks like it might be 8MB.

>            2 hd        Seagate ST32430WC
>            1 cdrom and some sort of card Sun Video?

1/3 hight (1"), or half height CDROM?

>            1 floppy
>            1 video card GWVS24?
>
> Can the ram from the SS4 be moved to the SS5 (YES), and how should
> it be organized?
"
8M or 32M SIMMs,
mixable except that any 32M SIMMs must be in
slots before any 8M SIMMs.
"

> I would probably use the SS5 as a workstation and the SS10 as a server.
> The SS4 would be some spare parts.
>
> The SS10:  4 ram simm 501-1785  (what size?)

16MB

>            4 ram simm 501-2273  (what size?)

16MB again, same SIMMs, more or less

>            1 hd       C2490A    (HP?)

Yep, that's an HP part number

>            (cables for 2 HD but no drive sleds)
>            1 cpu      501-2239 TMS390

Ugh, SM30.  36MHz.  Bleah

> My expectation is to hang a storageworks shelf off the SS10 for HD space.

You just have these sitting around?  :-)

> What sort of use is the SunGX video card on the SS10, and what is the
> processor speed?  Can the SS10 be used as a reasonable workstation in
> its own right, or should it be run off a terminal or headless?

I'd try not to do anything interactive with it.  Even the slowest SS4/5
will have more CPU power available, although it does have a lot of ram.
> The only thing looking like a processor in the SS5 was a fan covered
> chip?  The SS4 had a normal microsparc with hat chip.

I'd think so, the processor should be in about the same location on both
boards.

> Anything I need to be aware of in first bringing up any of these
> critters on Sol8?
>
> Anything I need to be aware of in the nvram/prom bits?

I think just the usual stuff.  Enjoy!
    Greg