[SunRescue] Telebit NetBlaster ST

Ron Rosson rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 09:02:42 CDT 2001

* Flinthoof Ponypal (Flinters at picarefy.com) [010403 06:37]:

> Well, sitting forgotten at the local Goodwill was this lil' critter from
> 1192.  A Telebit NetBlazer ST, which featured a i386sx 25 CPU, 3.5" 1.44M
> floppy, 4Mb 30 pin SIMMs, three serial ports, one parallel port, NIC with
> AUI, BNC, and 10bT, and a multiport adapter (these units could run up to 16
> ports).  While originally intended as a dialup router for a modem pool, it
> would appear that it may also work out as a terminal concentrator.  While
> we don't really need multiple modems with leased lines to increase
> bandwidth (hmm, imagine a dozen 56K modems working in parallel...), it
> would work well to have multiple terminals on a single network connection.
>
> Or at least that is the way I figure it would work.  I'm probaby 100% off
> base.
>
> This beastie doesn't come with a hard drive.  I don't even see a mounting
> spot or connection for one.  It boots up somewhat, going through  a setup
> routine, then wants to boot but there isn't anything to boot from.  Perhaps
> from a floppy disk.  If so, such software is long since gone.
>
> Question:  What would be necessary to get this thing up and running?  Is
> there a missing hard drive?  What OS?  Where can one hope to find such jewels?

Where I work we still have a few of these in service. They boot from a
floppy. The OS is a UNIX like OS built just for these things. Some of
the older versions used digiboard 8 port boards. (I know because when
one of the old Telebits died we parted it out and I stuck the digi in my
FreeBSD box)

Sorry I cant be of more help.

TIA
Ron Rosson          			      ... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 			      rm -rf *
insane at oneinsane.net     	            and all was /dev/null and *void()