[SunRescue] Sparc 10 upgading

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 1 07:26:31 CDT 2001

Depends on the price you pay for another CPU... If you could get an SM51 for
$50 or so, it would be worth it - $75, maybe. But you need to be very
careful about whatever money you put into it, as you may never get it out
again.

Some more RAM would be a good place to send some money too, but again, watch
the $$ that you spend. I would suggest making sure you *only* buy SS/20
grade RAM, as that can be used in systems all the way through to Ultra 2's -
so it is an investment in a future system, not a "purchase" that will maybe
be worth nearly-nil in a year or so.

An SS/10 with 2xSM51s and 128 Meg (or more) of RAM is a reasonable system
for daily use with recent Solaris releases. You should be able to get there
for about $100:

    $50 for SS/10, 20, Ultra 1, 2 64 Meg DIMM at SuperSellers($40 for
SS/10 - only)

    $50 for second SM51 (est., based on recent Ebay auctions)

Good luck, enjoy!

Ken