[SunRescue] ultra 5-10 scsi cards+subsystems

BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 11:54:03 CDT 2000

from everything i have seen and heard, get the symbios scsi cards that are
supported under solaris, avoid the adaptec cards like a particularly
gruesome plague. you should be able to find a reasonably priced sun bootable
cdrom drive if you wanted to replace the ide one. i recently made some iso
images of cds on two machines here. both were completely idle, one was an
ide based ultra 5, the other was a scsi based ultra 60. the same operation
(which was to dd the raw cdrom device to a file on the hard disk) for the
same cd took an hour and a half on the ultra 5, and only 12 minutes on the
ultra 60. go figure.

it shouldn't be hard to find cheap memory for the ultra 5's but i don't know
the best place offhand. i'm sure you can get it from www.memoryx.com for
something reasonable.

-wu