[SunRescue] Continuing foibles of Tim and SGI

Tim Harrison harrison at timharrison.com
Sun Sep 17 13:31:31 CDT 2000

Mark Davies wrote:

> So you have an IMAGE of IRIX and want to install from the net. This is
> no problem as long as you set up bootp and tftpd on the SERVER (INDIGO)
> Set the INDY Prom to netadr and issue the boot commmand. So here we go:

[snip]

Got all that part.

> Now, how are you going to get the image onto /usr/local/boot on the
> INDIGO ?
> ftp it from a linux machine?

I ftp'ed the .iso file onto the Indigo.  It's sitting there happily,
doing nothing.

> Let me know how you get on, I'd be interested to hear the success ;-)

My problem is this:  I can't mount the .iso file, like I would under
Linux.  I can netboot to my heart's content, but I can't install off of
an image that won't mount somewhere.  IRIX 5.2 (yes, I did say 5.2 --
hey, why do you think I'm trying to find ways to install? :) ) doesn't
have some kind of loop device (a la /dev/loop0 under Linux) that I can
use as a block device to mount from.

All I need to do is mount the ISO, and I can install away like mad.  But
therein lies the problem.

Any ideas?

--

Tim Harrison