[SunRescue] Stupid 670 Tricks

Hatle Hatle
Sat Sep 16 17:49:45 CDT 2000

Martin,

The FEH shows the SM52x module as a supported configuration, in either a one
or two module config. The "back" MBus connector (the one closest to the VME
connectors is called out as "M1" vs "M2" for the "front" one, so I would
assume the back MBus connector is where you should plug in your single
module.

It also lists that SM52's require at least boot PROM 2.10, but since the
machine worked before, that shouldn't be your problem.

Sorry it doesn't provide any answers, but at least should let you know it
_should_ work.

Let me know if I can look up anything else.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Wedel sr
To: Hatle, Steven J.
Cc: 'rescue at sunhelp.org'
Sent: 9/16/00 4:03 PM
Subject: RE: [SunRescue] Stupid 670 Tricks

waaaaa!  My roommate and I were documenting the parts in the 670 (and
other machines) and I just found the problem. I have SM52X's in my
670. the front module (501-2445) suffered a damaged (bent) pin.
I left the back module (closest to the VME connectors) in, but I get the
same error. Did I toast the whole mess, or does the 501-2444 ONLY run
with
the matching 501-2445 in place? Unfortunately I don't have any other
MBUS
modules to toss in and test the board.

Everyone please wish me luck, we'll see if my soldering skills are as
good
as they were when I worked at Toshiba......

--
Martin Wedel
sun at minor-element.net
http://www.minor-element.net/

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Hatle, Steven J. wrote:

> Martin,
>
> That failure shows as "MPTST 25" with the affected module being SM100.
Hope
> I got it right- there are only 6 pages of fault codes for this guy
<grin>.
> By the name, I would guess it's something to do with the interaction
between
> the multiple processor modules, but the book doesn't explain the
failure
> codes- maybe sunsolve or docs.sun.com would.
>
> If you don't have SM100's, I'm not sure what to tell you. I have
SM51's in
> mine, and it's survived extended periods of downtime.
>
> If you need more, let me know. Hope you get it running!
>
> Steve

Also,