[SunRescue] Help with ancient SunOS

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 30 12:07:08 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> I just recently aquired Solaris 1.1.2 to put on my IPX.  After installing
> the OS and compiling a bunch of crap (you never realize how much you rely
> on bash until you're without it), I have two questions:

Solaris 1.1.2 is *not* ancient!  Take that back! :-)

> 2) For some reason, I can't perform DNS name lookups with the native
>    resolver libraries.  The DNS server is Linux with BIND 8.2.2p7.  A
>    tcpdump gives me this:
>
> arrakis.1032 > kaitain.domain: 1 inv_q+ A? . (27)
> kaitain.domain > arrakis.1032: 1 inv_q Refused [0q] 1/0/0 (27) (DF)
>
>    arrakis is the IPX.  Is this an interaction problem with SunOS4 <->
>    BIND 8.2.2?  I'm going to put BIND4 in a forward-only configuration (if
>    I can) on the IPX and see if it helps, but I would appreciate any
>    input.

This is actually a FAQ quesation somewhere.  Pre SunOS 5, Sun required NIS
for DNS.  You have to do some mucking around with libs to get it to work,
but It can be done.  Look for the conversion in FAQ's. (I'm at work,
don't have easy access to the info I want.)

-Pete