[SunRescue] Help with ancient SunOS

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 22:50:58 CST 2000

>1) I access the console through ttya - I have no Sun monitors or
>   keyboards.  Obvously, this thing will drop to the PROM the instant I
>   unhook the serial cable.  Are there any fixes for SunOS 4.1.4 that will

Why is this?  I'm pretty sure I've pulled serial cables on a live Sparc-2
or IPX without generating a break signal and ending up in openboot.  Seems
like a floating rs-232 line should sit in the idle, non-break, state, correct?

I do remember seeing a jumper setting for selecting between rs-232 and
rs-423 on the system board, but I'd be surprised if it made any difference
with most hardware.

newell