[SunRescue] Sun 4/330 LEDs

Garten, David N., CTR, OSD/P&R rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 06:43:48 CST 2000

Rob (apologies to the list; private email bombed),
	I've got a 4/330 warming my basement.  I'm trying to understand the backplane.  I dropped a 4/6xx (501-2055?) in there and it runs AOK, but it doesn't see the 4Meg shorty (3U?) memory cards.  The 330 board sees them just fine.  ????   VME has got my goat...
	I'm lurking for a 4/6xx memory card (512MB or bust!) but I haven't been too aggressive since I don't know if I can strap it in the 330 chassis (or my 4/110 box) and get the moboard to see it.  And I'm curious about the 6U slots.  What are they intended to support?
  	I have a '97 FEH and it has a couple small hints about the 330 (like boot params - disk = Unix 6 = sd (0,18,0)).  Found that last night flipping through looking for Ux000E details.  The 600 series is fairly well documented for inference work.
	I tried setting the disk to SCSI 3 with no response.  I'm too poorly edumacated to mod that in the PROM from the console.  I have to wait till it bombs on disk and then manually boot from SCSI0(>b sd(0,0,0)).
	I don't guess this is a version of OBP?  Anything in your docs on what I should do to get a smooth boot?  Maybe I can try it on SCSI6 (bright bulb, ain't I)?  Screen resolution changes sounds interesting!
	Anything you can add to my paltry storehouse of Sun-3 knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

V/R

DG

Dave Garten
6508 Rock Crystal Dr