[SunRescue] IPX max memory

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 15:05:05 CST 2000

>>	1. What is the max memory an IPX can handle? 8 megs is the most I
>>can get it to see. even with 16 megs in. Or is it that it can only see 4
>>megs a SIMM slot?

Mine currently has 64meg in it.  I "think" it can be tricked into something
larger but AFAIK 64meg is MAX.  You need to use parity memory - if you don't
it either won't see any memory or it will "mis-read" the amount of RAM.
Also only 4, 16, and 32meg SIMMS (again AFAIK) are acceptable - 8 meg SIMMS
do not work.

>>	2. error "Power-on SelfTest FAILED ... Replace CPU board" Is this as
>>bad of an error message as it sounds?

Maybe - Maybe not.  Check all the board connections - especially the power.
Also check the above memory configuration issues.  Finally make sure that
all the chips are seated properly - especially the NVRAM chip.  (Usually has
bar-code on it and is about 1" long.)

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel