[SunRescue] come closer and let me pick your brain.

Alan Robinson rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 27 15:20:22 CST 2000

> 3. I got a case of unknown sparc type. It has the strangest SCSI
> connector on the back. Labeled as a sparc 511 case. What is/was this for?
> Has a scsi 50 pin cable inside. Beyond that I am at a loss and figure stuff
> is missing out of it, but for $1 how wrong could I go?

I picked up a 511 case at a hamfest a few months ago. It housed a QIC tape
drive (QIC-24 I believe), controller card and power supply. The connecter on
the back is an old-style (3 row) 50 pin SCSI connector. The case was
manufactured in 1989. I removed the QIC drive and used it to house a 4mm DAT
drive and a CD-ROM. One note of caution -  the regulators on the power supply
run very hot. They are bolted to the bottom of the case and the metal
underneath can also get very hot. Be careful what you put under it.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a cable with a 3 row SCSI
connector on one end and a Centronics or HD SCSI type connector on the other.
The power supply can easily power a couple of devices. The drawback of the 511
case is that it a bulky and has a rather noisy fan. Since 411 cases can be
found for very reasonable prices, it might not be worth fixing up, especially
if you have to do any metal work to mount a HD or CD-ROM. In my case I was
able to find a 411 case for $15 and a 411 style case (not made by Sun) for
$10. So the 511 is no longer in use.

Alan Robinson