[SunRescue] TCP Wrappers and other tcp/ip questions

Paul Khoury rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 20 21:49:21 CST 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:17:03 -0600, Reagen Ward wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:36:58PM -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:
>> What is the advantage of installing TCP Wrappers, besides logging?
>
>Mostly for access control.  Many other packages can use the libwrap library.

Ahh.  I think I finally understood by Bill's second reply.  Unfortunately, I'm having
trouble grasping the README's for each utility, probably because I've had a migraine
the whole day.  =(

>> I've just been working on securing my systems, considering I'll be giving them access to
>> the outside world (so I can also telnet in remotely, and of course, su in to root, never
>> as root directly).
>
>Please consider using ssh instead of telnet; if you login as yourself and su to
>root via an unencrypted channel, you might as well just telnet and login as
>root directly.  www.ssh.org should have lots of info.

I had ssh on a firewall box before, but had trouble getting it
to work at first.  Too bad that machine's HD died on me (and the drive
was the replacement for another drive that died, ironically).

>> Another question - how can I setup FTP to go to different
>> directories by default, regardless of user, dependant upon which IP you
>> ftp to?
>
>You'll have to use a more advanced FTP daemon for such things, like wu-ftpd or
>ProFTPD.  I personally like ProFTPD a LOT.  www.proftp.net.

Ahh...
Are either programs freeware or shareware?

Thanks,

Paul