[SunRescue] forget a Palm VII, I want one of these

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 17 07:57:57 CST 2000

WinCHIP at 200 Mhz clock speed
32 Meg RAM (pugradeable, SODIMM, 128 Meg works fine)
All have some form of IDE connector, some are harder than others to use...
16 Meg FLASH
USB/Parallel/56 K *real* modem
Keyboard is missing an escape key, ctrl-[ is a suitable substitute in most
cases
Keyboard/mouse are standard PS/2 parts, to use seperate, aftermarket mouse &
keyboard, a PS/2 splitter must be purchased.

There are forms of *nix OSs that can be stored completely in the Flash, I
run something called Jailbait ( less than 16 meg, get it?) that is quite
useful.

If you are not so interested in the exact form factor, a cheap laptop would
suffice for most uses.

If you want a fun little box to tinker with, a THinkNIC (www.thinknic.com)
is nice, and about $200 for a nice little box...

HTH,

Ken