[SunRescue] Two new (well to me any) Sparcstations

Mike Hebel drone8of9 at crosswinds.net
Thu Nov 16 09:32:53 CST 2000

>>1. Has anyone gotten sound to work on either of these two machines under
>>Redhat Linux?

The SS5 should work IIRC under RedHat but the SS10 may not.  The SS10 uses
DBRI audio which is a different version of audio hardware than the usual.
Last I checked it was only supported under Debian Linux.  The link you want
to start with is here:

http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html

>>2. Will a Sparc 5 110Mhz play MP3's?

Absolutely!  The only issue is quality or "rate" of playback.  I'm currently
using a SPARCstation LX for MP3s at home but only at 8khz.

>>3. Does anyone know how to make the ISDN work on a Sparc 10?

Can't help you there - sorry.  Try www.linuxdoc.org to see if there's a link
to a How-To.  I'm not even sure if there's a Linux distribution that
supports SPARC ISDN yet.  I may be wrong.

>>4. Where can I get mounting hardware for HD and CDROMs for the Sparc 5?
Memory?

You're very close!  Closer than you think...  ;-)

Try this page off of the www.SunHELP.org site:

http://www.sunhelp.org/pages.php?page=info-vendors

Hope these answers help!

Sincerely,