[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Assigning a second IP address

Bjorn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 16 03:32:49 CST 2000

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:

> >I plan on using my IPC for a DNS server.  Would 48MB be adequete?
>
>    Overkill and beyond.
>
>    I have a pair of dedicated DNS servers which serve all the machines on
> my LAN and are the authoritative servers for more than a dozen domains.
>
>    They're unexpanded 3/50's running NetBSD 1.4 from local disk. With only
> 4M RAM, the named process gradually drives everything else out of memory,
> but that's OK since they aren't doing anything else except for the occasional
> interactive update to the domain files.

So by that you mean our dedicated SS2s with 64MB RAM each, is
"over-overkill" for DNS use? :-)

Fact is that we're slowly pushing out all the sun4c's in favor for
sun4m. Four SS4/110 will be replaced by four SS5/170, so I guess two of
those SS4s would replace the SS2s...
Everything sun4m and sun4d. Yummie. :-)

	/Bjorn