[SunRescue] WTB: Sparc LX? Canada?

Alan Robinson rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 6 15:21:13 CST 2000

> $30 for 48 Meg RAM - a great deal! That it is $30 CDN is *amazing* -
> not to
> mention the nice Sun LX casing to protect your memory purchase! ;^)

I was able to pick up a clean LX (48MB ram 1 gig HD) at a hamfest for $5 (US)
this past summer. I didn't expect it to work, but when I turned it on, Solaris
came right up. It goes to show that there are bargains out there, especially
if you look outside of the normal Sun distribution channels. Hamfests are
fleamarkets for ham radio and computer gear. Most of the computer stuff that
you will find are ancient PCs, but Sun equipment can be found, especially at
the larger ones.

Speaking of free stuff, a company near where I work threw out a lot of Data
General equipment. Most of it wasn't of any use but I did get a working DG
6693G terminal. This terminal was manufactured in 1994 has a standard PC style
DIN connector for the keyboard. It seems to work, but I can't find out how to
get into the setup screens (I assume that it uses a software setup). Anyone
know anything about this beast?

There was also an Aviion AV550 server (no memory or HD) that I pulled out of
the trash. Would this be worth rescuing? Too bad they didn't dump Sun systems,
at least I know something about those

Alan Robinson