[SunRescue] Re: Best wishes for Bill...

Tim Harrison harrison at timharrison.com
Sun Nov 5 14:20:10 CST 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:

> WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP MONITORING PROGRAM.  One ISP I worked for (shortly,
> part-time) used it.  It would shit itself at 4pm every day and send false
> alerts.  We learned to ignore it.

Agreed.  I ran it once, and found that it would randomly either crash
the box or suddenly freak out, report that the entire network was down,
and then, in effect, say "just kidding", and everything would suddenly
be back up.

> I much prefer nocol, mon, Big Brother, or even OpenView.  Never trust
> monitoring software written for a Microsoft operating system.

BB is cool, if you're into intrusive monitoring.  For some sites, that's
important.  Other than that, I've found Netsaint kicks much gluteus.

I kind of like cheops as well, but it's got some stability issues that
need to be worked out. :)

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer