[SunRescue] Re: Best wishes for Bill...

Tim Harrison harrison at timharrison.com
Sat Nov 4 21:58:11 CST 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:

> Tip:  "killall" on IRIX and Solaris doesent do the same thing it does
> on Linux. 8-)
> 8-)  Any other horror stories?

I did this once, and got that nifty sinking feeling in my gut when my
ssh connection suddenly vanished.  I'd been working between two Linux
boxen and an E450.  Wrong term. :/

Then, a few months later, while working in NYC for a large web
integrator firm (whose stock is trading a hair above USD$1 ---
bwahahahahahaha.... sorry, a bit bitter), a fellow admin who thought
himself the best decided to type killall on a production database server
running Oracle for a VERY large and very prominent web site.  He looked
quite white, and I couldn't help but laugh.  He didn't take that too
kindly.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer