[SunRescue] Re: UK Viewers

Chris Powell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 3 03:43:46 CST 2000

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 05:06:50 -0800 (PST), kebabthesheep at yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Chris Powell <Chris_Powell at mitel.com> wrote: >
> > There are sometimes bargains to be had from
> > ebay.co.uk - recently I got
> > a dual 60MHz SPARC 10 with a 17" monitor (screen
> > burn, but OK) for just
> > over 200 which is pretty good value I think.
>
> That's pretty good - can't have had much ram though?

64Mb in 4x16Mb DIMMs. :) There were actually 7 or 8 of these SS10s
on eBay at the same time from the same guy - most were 2x50MHz, but
I managed to get one with 2x60MHz (runs Quake pretty well :)

> > I'm also under the impression that Sun still
> > give fairly generous
> > rebates on old machines for upgrade (5 or 10% off
> > list price).
>
> I believe this is still partially true, i'm not sure
> whether they will p/x really old stuff still - i'll
> ask.

Our IS department insists they are worth money - hence it's impossible
to get even one of the pile of IPX/SS2 machines from work. Last time I
looked Sun even offered something upgrading a Sun3 or 386i machine!

> > Other UK-based Sun VARs: Peripheral Technology
> > (Derby), Stellar (London),
> > Amtec (not sure where they are based).
>
> I tried, yahoo.co.uk, and www.yell.co.uk, but didn't
> drag any of them up :(  I'll try again.  They london
> one sounds promising tho - i've got monday off work :)

http://www.peritech.co.uk/
http://www.stellarperformance.com/
http://www.amtecgroup.co.uk/
http://www.summit-tech.co.uk/
http://www.exquip.com/

I believe Stellar deal a lot with the City, so are probably used to
asking top whack for stuff.

Exquip list bare SS2/LC machines for 75, bare LX machines for 125.

> Unfortunantly I only use them at home, at the moment.
> We have a sun on order at work, for bench-testing, but
> since our purchasing dept. decided to order it from
> PC-world, things have gone a little downhill.
> Apparently (according to the PC-world sales-droid sun
> are going out of business!) it's "on it's way" only
> been waiting 6 months so far, so still hopefull...

Didn't even know PC-World would sell you a Sun!

Chris.