[SunRescue] Re: UK Viewers

kebabthesheep rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 2 07:06:50 CST 2000

--- Chris Powell <Chris_Powell at mitel.com> wrote: >
> There are sometimes bargains to be had from
> ebay.co.uk - recently I got
> a dual 60MHz SPARC 10 with a 17" monitor (screen
> burn, but OK) for just
> over 200 which is pretty good value I think.

That's pretty good - can't have had much ram though?

> There are a number of UK dealers, but they do tend
> to charge 'business'
> rates.

Yes, that's the impression i'm getting. Shame :(

> I'm also under the impression that Sun still
> give fairly generous
> rebates on old machines for upgrade (5 or 10% off
> list price).

I believe this is still partially true, i'm not sure
whether they will p/x really old stuff still - i'll
ask.

> Other UK-based Sun VARs: Peripheral Technology
> (Derby), Stellar (London),
> Amtec (not sure where they are based).

I tried, yahoo.co.uk, and www.yell.co.uk, but didn't
drag any of them up :(  I'll try again.  They london
one sounds promising tho - i've got monday off work :)

> I'm in Wiltshire and use Suns at work as well as at
> home.

Unfortunantly I only use them at home, at the moment.
We have a sun on order at work, for bench-testing, but
since our purchasing dept. decided to order it from
PC-world, things have gone a little downhill.
Apparently (according to the PC-world sales-droid sun
are going out of business!) it's "on it's way" only
been waiting 6 months so far, so still hopefull...

Dave.