[SunRescue] Least expensive 'Real Server'

Paul Paul
Sun Nov 12 15:00:13 CST 2000

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:36:57 -0800, jcarver wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>	I would second James Lockwoods sentiments. I was able to pick
>up a SparcServer 1000E from work. They bought a new server, but were
>offered almost nothing for the old one. Me being a complete novice,
>bought it thinking "Big Iron"! Better yet I could carry it upstairs to
>the spare bedroom I use for my computer room. I know now why none of the
>IT guys jumped on this bargain. While I won't get rid of this machine,
>I have found a few issues.
>
>	1. It's very noisy. Those 8" fans along one side sound like an
>old air conditioner. I'm not sure I can stand to work within 5' of it.

Noisy?  My apartment sounds like a small data center.  Most people who come
over here complain of getting tired, rather than staying awake (because of the
white noise effect).

Try cleaning out the fans with compressed air, that helps - the most annoying noise
is still malfunctioning fans.

>	2. System boards are expensive. I got basically 2 1000E's. I got
>a total of 3 boards from the 2. there are 3 SBUS slots per board. Any
>additional boards after the first must be populated with at least 1 bank
>of memory. If you have faster than 50 Mhz processors there are Emi
>issues
>that require a different fan assembly(according to the FEH). I just sold
>board on ebay so I can purchase more memory.(Sold for nearly $500) Now
>I'm
>wondering, do I use both remaining boards or hold one back for a spare?
>
>	3. Memory shows up on eBay from time to time, but usually goes fairly
>high. Dealers know they have a captive audience. Only 8meg and 32meg
>sticks
>are available. As James says, you can't use them in anything else.
>
>	4. As my lights just blinked again, (Please Lord don't LOCKOUT my
>feeder!) I'm wondering how expensive a UPS is going to be for this
>baby?!

Heh heh heh, I thought I was bad - $150 for electricity for approximately 1.5-2 months.
And I live in a low income area, so I have the benefit of cheaper power.

>As I said earlier I won't get rid of my SparcServer; Now known as
>SparcMaster,
>because of it's demands ;). If I had the time to sit down and rationally
>think
>about the whole process, knowing what I do now, I believe an Ultra 1
>would be
>a better investment. Particularly a "Creator" series with 100T, fastwide
>SCSI
>and best of all, 24 BIT COLOR! On the bright side, I don't get all
>greasy and
>grimmy with this hobby. Plus, it's below freezing this morning outside
>where the
>cars are and it's 70+ in my unheated computer room. (Gotta love those HP
>4SI's
>when it's cold out ;)

LOL.  It's warm here in Southern California, only going maybe to about 35 max, but
I was thinking of the gas company turning off my pilot light for my gas heater.

My heating system is a Sun3, 6 ThinkPads, 4 desktops, 3 SPARCs, and a Mac.
Wish I had some power hungry lasers for keeping the place warm at night.