[SunRescue] Sparcserver 1000 and disk trays...

Garten, David N., CTR, OSD/P&R GartenD at PR.OSD.MIL
Thu May 18 08:06:49 CDT 2000

Patrick,
	Those 540's Mike mentions "under the hood" are on
/io-unit at f,e0200000/sbi at 0,0/dma at 0,81000/ - *dma at 0,81000* - that's the
internal controller (and SCSI card) on the XDBUS.  It is the "half" card
located on top of the front drive tray assembly with the reset button and
DB25 female socket on it.  Plugs into the XDBUS opposite the motherboards.
Usually holds the machine specific information (ser #, ethernet, etc.)
	/io-unit at f,e1200000 is the interface to the XDBUS on the second
motherboard (1).   /io-unit at f,e0200000/sbi at 0,0/dma at 1,81000/ - *dma at 1,81000*
is on the first motherboard (0) and is where the 548 (SCSI tray) is
connected (SCSI port on back of board).  /sbi at 0,0 is the SBUS interface on
that board.  /esp at 1,80000 is an individual SBUS "plug" on that board and on
an SS1000 motherboard it's the SBUS interface dedicated to the on-board
SCSI.
	Me thinks you are going to have to build a /dev reference to this
"external" SCSI bus and drive.  What I hear is that the operating system
does not recognize the presence of the device.  Adding devices is not always
trivial...
	Have you done a "boot -r" with the drive tray attached?  I don't
know for sure, but some SBUS cards can go unrecognized on SPARCstation's
without one.  Moving an ethernet card over an SBUS slot is an example.  It
"disappears" until you reboot with the -r option.  The -r option apparently
rewrites the /dev file for the card so it can be "found" by the OS.  Your
SCSI tray is similar in that it is a "new" device on the XDBUS.  There might
be no way for Solaris to see it until a /dev entry is written.  The prom
does see it (probe-scsi-all found it) but otherwise you can't get at it,
right?
	Failing the -r option, try mounting it using the entire device
name..."/io-unit at f,e0200000/sbi at 0,0/dma at 1,81000/esp at 1,80000/sd at 0,2".  The
/sd at 0,2 is not unique without the preceding interface details.  A "boot disk
2" command from the ok prompt will default to the
/io-unit at f,e0200000/sbi at 0,0/dma at 0,81000/esp at 0,80000 unit since it is the
"first" in search order.
	Device numbers on the SCSI tray are preset.  You have placed your
548 in the "ID2" socket.  SCA drives get their "number" from the "socket"
you place them in (In a Sparc 20 it's ID3 for the bottom socket, top socket
is ID0 (or is it 1?-I forget!))  q-8]

Good luck

DG

Dave Garten