[SunRescue] sun3/80 scsi

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 28 13:46:51 CST 2000

Greg that was a great post.
It cleared up many incorrect assumptions I had made in the past.

Particularly this:

>> Is it supported/proper to dangle two disks from a single port
>> internally?
>
> Nope, not at all, never.  (though it might "work" once in a blue moon)

It all makes sense when you realize they are stubs. That's why those cables
are so darn short.

one other thing...
> Also if you're making up your own external components, make sure you're
> supplying termination power to the bus from the most distant device too
> (and of course make sure it's the correct polarity, or else you'll find
> that one of the SCSI cable wires lets the smoke out real quick!).

Sorry to be dense but what is the polarity are you referring to? Does it
have something to do with connecting the ribbon cable backwards? You know,
the mistake that is easy to make if you have the cheezy connectors without
the the key molded into it.

thanks,
jeffrey