[SunRescue] What to do now?

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 28 13:09:55 CST 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, jeff borisch wrote:

> >> How long have you let it sit?  It can take a few minutes there..
> >
> > It's taking way longer than it did.  Several other opinions were that
> > I needed to reseat the memory (newly installed, reseated now), try
> > another nvram chip, or take it in to work where some of the coworkers
> > had been adminning Sparcs for a while.  One possibility was that it
> > needed to be reset from a Sun keyboard.  Concensus was that it wasn't
> > anything obvious.
> >

> All the sparcs i've rescued have had the eeprom set to test only 1 MB of ram
> at POST so that they start up faster. If you did something to reset the
> nvram it could be trying to test all 64 MB. This can take a long time. I'm
> probably wrong but it could be something to try.

The power supply is okay (just got through testing it with the Radio
Shack Digital Multimeter which I bought this morning).  I get this now

PROM Checksum test
Context Reg Test
Segment Map Test
Sizing Memory
Page Map Test
Page Map Test
Memory Test
Probing Memory Bank #: 1 2 3 4 5
Initializing Auxiliary Register
Installing Timer Interrupt Handler
Timing CPU Clock Speed
Reset/Initialize Keyboard
Illegal Instruction
ok CP

I've also gotten Bad EPROM when I powered it up.

The okay isn't taking anything like commands, by the way.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net